When does my aircon need servicing?13/01/2016
3 DIY Ways to Clean Your Air Conditioner22/02/2016
If you want to keep your air conditioner in optimal condition for years, you simply cannot ignore to clean and check for its maintenance. Regular maintenance not only helps extend its life span, but improves its cooling efficiency and saves you big bucks on future aircon repairs. Unfortunately, some people either do not understand the importance of regular maintenance or are not aware of the common maintenance mistakes. Some of them ignore aircon cleaning maintenance in an attempt to save a few hundred dollars, but end up paying a lump sum on repairs or even worse cause the system to stop working completely. Let’s discuss five most common aircon maintenance mistakes and how to avoid those.
- Not giving it a break – Some people keep the air conditioner running at full flow throughout the day. This does not only increase your electricity bill but puts pressure on the condenser unit. If you let it run for hours without giving it a break, it may eventually lose efficiency or breakdown. One good idea would be to use a thermostat. Set the temperature higher or turn off the system when you are planning to go out for a long time.
- Setting the thermostat wrong – In an attempt to cool your rooms faster, you may want to set the thermostat much lower than your desired indoor temperature. For instance, you may set the temperature at 20 degrees because you want to reach at 25 degrees faster. Don’t do this. First of all, this strategy does not work. The system will take a minimum time to cool down – no matter how low you set the temperature. Secondly, this will put pressure on your system and affect its performance in the long run.
- Not replacing the filters regularly – Filters are prone to damages due to the accumulation of dust, dirt and grime over time. You should clean the filters regularly. Moreover, you should change them every two months.
- Not getting the system serviced regularly – Just changing the filters is not enough. You need to service the entire system at least twice a year. One good idea would be to hire an acclaimed company for regular aircon servicing. Unfortunately, most homeowners ignore regular servicing and cause several unnecessary problems. Knowing how to choose the good aircon servicing company will help you to save money.
- Ignoring repairs at the first instance – If you notice any signs of defect or efficiency loss, you should call professionals for a thorough inspection as soon as possible. For instance, you may notice your air conditioner making a loud noise while it is running. Or you may find water leaking from its condenser. Sometimes, you may notice that the system is not cooling enough even after for a long time. These are signs that your air conditioner needs to be repaired. You should not delay seeking professional help for aircon repairs. Otherwise, a simple problem can gradually turn into a major setback and may even cause a total air conditioner failure.
Consider avoiding those five maintenance mistakes to help keep your air conditioner running at its best for years.