The importance of aircon maintenance cannot be stressed enough. In a hot and humid country like Singapore, an air conditioner is not a choice, but a necessity. If you ignore regular maintenance, your aircon may breakdown in the middle of summer months, and you know the consequences.
Ideally, you should hire an aircon servicing company for regular maintenance. But if that is not an option, you can try doing the simple maintenance tasks on your own, and hire professionals for the complex maintenance tasks. In either case, know that some air conditioner parts require more regular attention than the others do.
1. Filters – If you have recently noticed your aircon not cool enough, there could be a problem in the filters. If you do not clean the filters regularly, dirt and dust particles may accumulate on them, and prevent the cool air from entering into the evaporator coil. Make sure you wash the filters with water every month. Consider adding detergent or soap in the water for better results. If you hire an aircon technician for the cleaning, ask him whether the filter is damaged or needs to be replaced.
2. Evaporator coil – The evaporator coil is not directly exposed to dust and grime, but it may still accumulate dust particles over time. If the evaporator coil accumulates dirt, it may lack its efficiency. Thus it is important to clean the coils regularly with a vacuum cleaner. Also, clean the aluminum fins with a soft brush, but be careful because the thin fins are prone to bending.
3. Drain pipes – Clogging of the drainage system is a common cause of air condition failure or insufficient cooling. If dust particles accumulate on the drain channels for a long time, it may cause a problem in the water drainage system.
As a result, there could be excessive moisture in your rooms, which may affect the cooling efficiency of your air conditioner. Aircon servicing professionals usually apply chemical solutions for cleaning the clogged drain tubes. However, if the drain channels are still not excessively clogged, consider cleaning them on your own by running a solid, copper wire through the channel and then flushing the drains with water.
4. Condenser – The moisture inside your air conditioner may react with the compressor oils and form a corrosive substance, which may eventually damage the condenser and other parts of your aircon. This is a serious problem, and only professionals can deal with this issue. They usually use a process called chemical cleaning to eliminate the corrosive acids from your air conditioner. If required, the technicians may ask you to replace some internal parts.
5. Outside fan – The outside fan of your aircon may stop working or run slow due to improper maintenance. The fan helps to transfer heat from your aircon to the outside of your home. If it stops working, it may cause overheating issues and may affect the performance of the compressor in the long run. Regular cleaning and maintenance of the outside fan is essential if you want to keep your air conditioner running at it best.
If you are planning to hire an air-con company for regular maintenance, be sure to choose a company that has a proven track record of providing quality aircon maintenance service at competitive cost.